search_icopersonal search form:
Topics I am interested in:
  • Work and employment

  • Social guarantees

  • Education

  • Foreigners in Lithuania

  • Other issues

chat_icopost your question here:
Užpildykite neįvestus laukelius!
consult with us by phone: 8 800 22922 | 8 525 14352
or contact us via skype: skype Migracijos informacijos centras
follow us: facebook youtube
I am studying abroad. Will my education/studies be recognized in Lithuania?
img1 img2

I am studying abroad. Will my education/studies be recognized in Lithuania?


The individuals who have acquired a certain level of education and/or are holders of foreign qualifications willing to study at Lithuanian IHE may contact the appropriate institutions regarding assessment and recognition of foreign qualifications.

  1. Holders of a foreign secondary education certificate wiling to study at Lithuanian IHE are required to contact the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (hereinafter referred to as CQAHE) regarding diploma recognition.
  2. Holders of foreign higher education certificates are required to contact CQAHE regarding academic recognition of qualifications to have their Bachelor’s or Master’s diploma assessed, or the Research Council of Lithuania (hereinafter referred to as RCL) to have the diploma certifying a foreign doctoral degree in science (art) assessed.

The RCL is conducting evaluation of doctoral degrees in science (art) acquired abroad, and issues a certificate whereby the qualification acquired abroad is recognized (or not recognized) to be equivalent to the doctoral degree in science (art) granted in the Republic of Lithuania.

The evaluation is conducted according to an application of a person who has acquired the qualification abroad. The official recognition of the qualification is in not all cases required, the necessity being at the discretion of the employer.


  • If the documents are sent by mail, copies of diplomas must be authenticated by a notary. The application will otherwise not be processed by CQAHE and RCL. If you arrive in person or submit the documents via the authorized person holding the Power of Attorney, the copies of original documents will be made by CQAHE and RCL themselves. In this case, the documents need not be authenticated by a notary.


  • An application to conduct an (academic) recognition of a foreign qualification (form).
  • A document (school leaving certificate, diploma) certifying the foreign qualification and diploma   supplement (listing all the subjects completed, scope (credits and/or hours), and the grades obtained). If the documents were issued in other than English or Russian languages, they shall be accompanied by a notarized translation of the document certifying the foreign qualification and its supplement into the Lithuanian, Russian or English languages. A translation is considered to be official when it is bound to a certified (by a notary or a respective institution) true copy of the document in the original language and is verified with the official stamp of the translation agency and attested by the translator’s signature.
  • A personal identity document (e.g. passport);
  • A document certifying a change in the name and/or last name;
  • You may be requested to provide other documents certifying previous education (e.g., if you apply for the recognition of a Master’s diploma, you will be requested to provide a Bachelor’s diploma).

The recognition of the education/qualification acquired abroad shall be completed within a month from the submission of all documents and is free of charge.

Updated: 2018-01-19

You might also be interested in: