Am I entitled to any benefits during my studies if I am an alien of Lithuanian descent?
In the attempt to attract children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the Lithuanian Diaspora and people of Lithuanian descent to study in Lithuanian IHE award these persons an additional admission point and provides financial assistance for their studies in Lithuania.
An additional point to the competitive score, calculated according to the procedure of making an applicant list taking into account the grade score of maturity (entrance) examinations, is awarded to the students upon completion of the final class of a comprehensive school – children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the Lithuanian diaspora and people of Lithuanian descent, those who lived abroad for at least three years and after coming to Lithuania started their schooling at no lower than 8th grade. An additional point is awarded to entrants of Bachelor study programs. More information on the documents to be submitted for admission to HEI.
You are eligible for financial assistance during the studies in Lithuania if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a child, grandchild or great-grandchild of the Lithuanian diaspora and people of Lithuanian descent,
- You lived abroad for at least three years
- You started your schooling at no lower than 8th grade.
Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the Lithuanian diaspora and people of Lithuanian descent may be granted support of two types: a scholarship and /or social benefit. The monthly amount of scholarship is three basic social benefits (114 Euros) per month. It is granted for one study semester and paid out on a monthly basis until the end of the semester. A social benefit is a single payment which is granted taking into account the social status ot the person applying for support (from 202.73 Euros to 318.58 Euros). A student falling under the above mentioned categories is entitled to both types of support. The support shall not be granted to the individuals who choose to study the languages of their country of origin.
People of Lithuanian descent applying for assistance are required to register with the State Studies Foundation website and fill out the electronic application form. The deadlines are as follows:
- For autumn semester – until September 30;
- For spring semester – until February 20.
You might also be interested in:
- How are studies organized in Lithuanian institutions of higher education?
- How and what documents should be submitted for admission to institutions of higher education?
- Tuition fees
- I am studying abroad. Will my education/studies be recognized in Lithuania?
- What is professional retraining (continuing vocational training) and apprenticeship?
- What is meant by adult education, senior education and lifelong learning program?