The right of temporary residence of EU citizens in Lithuania
Citizens of the EU, EEA states or Switzerland and their family members who are citizens of the EU, EEA states or Switzerland who meet at least one of the below-specified requirements, may arrive and reside in Lithuania for longer than three months within half a year. Such individuals are issued a certificate certifying the right of an EU citizen to reside temporarily in Lithuania if they:
- are employees or independently working individuals;
- have enough resources for themselves and their family members if the latter arrive together with them to make a living in Lithuania and are in possession of a valid document certifying health insurance;
- are admitted to study at an educational institution according to the programme (programmes) of general education or vocational training or to do doctoral studies, are invited to undergo traineeship, improve their qualification, have enough money to make a living in Lithuania if they arrive together with him/her or to his/her place and have a valid document certifying health insurance;
- is a family member of an EU citizen who has the right to reside in Lithuania and who arrives together with him/her or to his place (about the right of the EU citizens, family members of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania to reside in Lithuania read see the section the Right of the EU citizens, family members of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania, to reside permanently in Lithuania.
- in all cases (with the exception when a person obtains a permit to reside as a family member of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania) a person must submit proof to the Migration Division of the Territorial Police Office that he/she has enough means to maintain himself/herself. These may be bank statements, the employment contract or other documents certifying constant income or savings possessed. A list of other documents, which must be submitted, is available on this Internet website.
An application of an EU citizen must be considered and the decision on it must be taken not later than within 10 working days from the day of receipt of the application at the Migration Division of the Territorial Police Office.
The certificate issued shall be valid for 5 years from the day on which the decision to issue the certificate was adopted or during the foreseen period of the EU citizen‘s stay in Lithuania if it does not exceed 5 years.
You might also be interested in:
- General information about the arrival and residence of citizens of the EU and EFTA Member States who are not family members of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania
- The right of permanent residence of the EU citizens in Lithuania
- Legalisation of the documents submitted
- Citizenship issues
- Declaration of the place of residence
- Lithuanian language courses for foreigners