Contraction of marriage with a citizen of a foreign country in Lithuania
To get married to a citizen of a foreign country in Lithuania, first of all, it is necessary to take into consideration the fact that civil and church marriages are contracted in Lithuania. Church canons regulate the procedure for contracting marriage with a foreigner; the procedure for contracting civil marriage with a person who is not a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania will be explained below.
Seeking to contract marriage it is necessary to submit an application to a civil registry office (these offices are usually municipal divisions of civil registration). The application is submitted to that registry office where one of the future spouses or their parents has declared the place of residence.
The following documents are to be submitted:
- documents certifying the identity of the person;
- certificates of birth;
- if a person who intends to contract marriage is a citizen of a foreign country, additionally a document issued by the competent authorities of his/her state certifying that there are no obstacles to his/her marriage (i.e., a certificate that a person had not contracted another, at the time still valid, marriage) must be submitted. If a citizen of a foreign state is divorced or a widower, a document issued by the competent authorities of his/her country certifying his/her divorce or the death of his ex-spouse;
Documents of a citizen of a foreign country (with the exception of the passport) must be legalised or certified with an Apostille (with the exception of the documents issued in Estonia, Russia, Belarus, Latvia, Moldova and Ukraine) and translated into the Lithuanian language. The list of the states whose official documents issued must be certified with an Apostille is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania. Documents issued by other countries must be legalised (certified doubly – by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country, which issued the document or by a diplomatic mission and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania).
To register marriage at the registry office a fee of 20 Euros is paid. In case you want your marriage to be registered in the place that you chose by yourselves, a fee of 60 Euros is taken.
Marriage is registered at least one month after the day of submitting an application.
When submitting an application the presence of both persons is obligatory.
You might also be interested in:
- General information about the arrival of foreigners to Lithuania
- General information about the arrival and residence of EU and EFTA citizens, who are not family members of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania
- General information about the arrival and residence of citizens from third countries, who are not family members of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania