Third country citizen employement
During the past several years there has been an increasing number of foreigners arriving to Lithuania who are looking for job opportunities. Even though the process is fairly straightforward for EU citizens, people who arrive from third countries have to go through a series of steps that might not always be clear or well defined.
A non-EU citizen can arrive to work in Lithuania if he has one of these three documents:
- A work permit
- A decision whether an employee meets the demands of the labor market
- A decision whether a job placement, requiring a high professional qualification, meets the demands of the Lithuanian labor market
Every document defines not only the specific requirements for the employee or the employment contract, but also the time period that the foreign citizen can legally live in Lithuania (as having a work permit/decision, issued by the labor exchange do not grant the right to reside in Lithuania – one also has to have a visa or a residence permit).
It is important to note that a person who arrives to Lithuania with a Schengen visa cannot work in Lithuania.
In the table below we have compiled an overview of the process for different applications. If you require more specific information about a certain document, follow the links provided or contact MIC consultants. More information can also be found here.
(Click the picture to enlarge it)
You might also be interested in:
- General information about the arrival of third country citizens that are not family members of Lithuanian citizens
- General information about the arrival of third country citizens that are family members of a Lithuanian citizen
- Foreigners in Lithuania
- Lithuanian language courses for foreigners
- Marriage in Lithuania
- Declaring a place of residence