search_icopersonal search form:
Topics I am interested in:
  • Work and employment

  • Social guarantees

  • Education

  • Foreigners in Lithuania

  • Other issues

chat_icopost your question here:
Užpildykite neįvestus laukelius!
consult with us by phone: 8 800 22922 | 8 525 14352
or contact us via skype: skype Migracijos informacijos centras
follow us: facebook youtube
First steps in Lithuania
img1 img2

First steps in Lithuania


What are the first steps in Lithuania?

  1. One must declare departure from the foreign country and then declare a place of residence upon returning to Lithuania (if you declared departure at the time when you left). This can be done via the “E-Government Gateway” website (although, it needs to be noted that one needs an electronic Lithuanian bank account or a mobile/electronic signature), or in your local eldership.
  2. Ensure that you have taken care of the compulsory health insurance (CHI), because as soon as one declares a place of residence in Lithuania, there is an obligation to pay the CHI payment to “Sodra”. If a person is working, there is no need for these payments, as they are automatically charged along with paychecks. If a person who has returned from abroad does not work for a period of time, he has to pay the required contributions on his own (or one can be insured by the state, if he is a retired person, unemployed and registered at the Lithuanian Labor Exchange, student, one of the parents that is raising a child under 8 years old, etc.).
  3. Choose and register to a health institution. Before registering, make sure that your chosen health institution has entered an agreement with the territorial patient fund regarding the compensation of healthcare services. Then you will not have to pay for the services that are covered by the budget of the compulsory health insurance fund (CHIF).

When returning to Lithuania, it is advisable to bring these documents:

  1. Documents that certify a job placement and periods of work (ex.: contract of employment, forms P45 or P60 from the employer);
  2. Documents certifying the payment of social security benefits (form E104 or its equivalent);
  3. Documents certifying that one had health insurance during the period of living abroad. If your health insurance and social contributions were paid by the employer, an employment contract is sufficient;
  4. Documents of any education that your children completed/partly completed whilst living abroad.

If you intend to leave your job and have a right to receive unemployment benefits, you can use this opportunity to export your unemployment benefits to Lithuania for at least three months (until you find a job) (applicable for EU/EEU countries and Switzerland). In order to do this, you have to apply to the national employment agencies in the country you currently reside to issue a permission to export the payments (U2 form or its equivalent). More information can be found here:

You can also apply for the E104 form (applicable for EU/EEU countries and Switzerland). It provides information about the social payments/taxes you paid in another country as well as periods of work. One can submit this form to “Sodra’s” agency of foreign payments if he/she wishes that the periods of payments/work would be summed up (in order to receive social benefits in Lithuania). The institutions can contact each other for these documents, but providing the form makes this process much quicker. It is issued by institutions that are responsible for social benefit payments.

If you worked legally, once you have reached the pension age the periods of work in Lithuania and abroad will be summed up. Thus it would be recommended to inform the institutions that are responsible for paying old-age pensions that you are leaving the country. Lithuania’s “Sodra” does not have an early record of your work experience, thus when you want your work periods to be summed up, you have to apply to “Sodra” three months before you reach the pension age. There is no specific list of documents you have to submit, so save your employment contracts, pay slips etc.

If you have school aged children, collect certificates or other documents that would prove that they completed parts or full education degrees, courses etc. If your child was attending a Lithuanian school – ask for a certificate.

You might also be interested in: