search_icopersonal search form:
Topics I am interested in:
  • Work and employment

  • Social guarantees

  • Education

  • Foreigners in Lithuania

  • Other issues

chat_icopost your question here:
Užpildykite neįvestus laukelius!
consult with us by phone: 8 800 22922 | 8 525 14352
or contact us via skype: skype Migracijos informacijos centras
follow us: facebook youtube
How can one claim for an unemployment social insurance (UI) benefit?
img1 img2

How can one claim for an unemployment social insurance (UI) benefit?


A person who has lost a job or is looking for a job is entitled to an unemployment social insurance benefit (commonly known as an unemployment benefit). These benefits may also be claimed by a person who returns to Lithuania from a foreign country. However, one should bear in mind that in Lithuania, this benefit may only be granted if the person’s last workplace is/was in Lithuania.

A person applying for a UI benefit must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  1. To be registered with the Local Labour Exchange Office;
  2.  To have worked for at least 12 months in the last 30 months (or else, he does not qualify for a UI benefit);
  3. The last place of employment was in Lithuania (that is, the last workplace was in Lithuania or was last covered by unemployment social insurance in Lithuania). 
  4. If a person has not worked 12 months in Lithuania in the last 30 months but has completed the same period in another EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Ukraine or Belarus, he may present a statement on unemployment insurance and employment periods from a competent body of the previous State of employment (in the EU/EEA and Switzerland, the form U1 PD is issued). Upon submission of such a statement, unemployment insurance period acquired abroad will be taken into account in Lithuania.
  5. If such a statement is not delivered, a person is required to submit to the Lithuanian SoDra the documents proving his work record in another member state. The relevant bodies administering social benefits in different states will contact each other to obtain the data required (It may take up to several months, therefore it is recommended to request the issue of such a statement from the competent authority prior to leaving a foreign country)
  6. On returning from other countries than the EU/EEA member states and Switzerland as well as from other countries than those with which Lithuania has concluded bilateral agreements on social security covering unemployment benefits (Ukraine, Belarus), unemployment insurance status periods are not added up.

Those who are receiving social insurance contributions (UI included) and have declared one’s place of residence in the municipality, in order to continue receiving mentioned contributions, must re-declare or inquire local administration ward for the admission to the list of people who do not have a declared place of residence. This must be done until March, 2018. For more information, visit the website of Ministry of Social Security and Labour (in Lithuanian)

Updated: 2018-01-12

You might also be interested in: